Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013 Foster Care in a Nutshell

2013 Foster Care in a Nutshell

  • Josiah turned 1 @ the beginning of the year
  • we started him on the GAPS Diet to help heal his gut
  • our girls turned 15, 14 & 10
  • it's none of your business how old Matt and I are!  :D
  • we did emergency care for "MJ" in January for two weeks
  • and we fell in love with him
  • and then we fostered him in February & March
  • and it was exceedingly difficult {2 special needs babies, one who cried for 30 minutes at a time if something changed in his surroundings at all, one who had severe tummy issues and required intensive GAPS cooking- 2 hours minimum every day; running a photography business from home; homeschooling 3 daughters - one who has ADD and throw that in with the screaming baby for a great fun day EVERY DAY!}
  • MJ was placed in another foster home
  • and we've had the wonderful privilege of seeing him thru respite care in June
  • and we still love him and don't know how his story will end...
  • our family took a WONDERFUL, much needed vacation to River's Edge Cottages in the Spring
  • Josiah's adoption was finalized on July 17th
  • GAPS Diet has been amazing for him!  He is able to eat a wide variety of vegetables and a few new fruits as well as nuts and nut butters.  Still NO GRAINS and apparently no seeds (our sunflower seeds trial was scary!)
  • we fostered "Teddy" the newborn for one week & then he went with a family member
  • we have been fostering "Tiny" for 3 months (since birth)
2013 was such a roller coaster ride for us.  It was a prayer come true to be able to adopt our little Josiah!  There was heartache with having to have MJ placed in another home. Our marriage is the strongest it's ever been.  Seeing my husband love our foster babies with a regular daddy's love, even though they don't carry his DNA pierces a part of me that has never been touched before.  Those kids are ours while they're in our home. Period.  Our girls are growing up!  Gabi will be able to drive in a few months.  The thought of that makes me want to cry or scream! I haven't decided which yet! LOL!!!  Josiah is on target with everything and has great weight!
2013 was overall a wonderful year!  I have learned a lot about myself - I am stronger than I ever thought.  It's more important to be tenderhearted towards the fatherless than look like a model.  I can still help others in need, even if my hands are full here at home.  God is gracious beyond compare and his compassion is limitless!  
I hope to make more time for friendships in 2014.  I miss my friends.  Fostering those relationships and growing together in the Lord will make for an even more fulfilling year!

No comments:

Post a Comment